HMD Kontro is proud to have recently joined the Women in Engineering Society (WES). This is a charity and a professional network of women engineers, scientists and technologists, which offers inspiration, support and professional development. Initially 15 of our female employees have been given individual WES membership for a year.
What Is WES?
It was founded on 23rd June 1919 and was there to support women engineers who though they had been welcomed during the war years found themselves under pressure to relinquish their jobs so that the men returning from the war could fill their positions. WES was formed to not only resist this pressure but to promote engineering as a rewarding job for women.
The number of women who are professional engineers in the UK is approximately 11%, which is thought to be one of the lowest in Europe and the number in technical level roles, where actually growth rate is at its greatest is even lower than that figure.
Benefits For Our Members Include:
- Representation from the WES at up to two of our company women’s events
- Access to best practice and advice support for our diversity programmes
- Two representative places at the Women’s Engineering Society annual conference
- Quarterly communication updates from the Society
- Opportunities for our staff to engage with the Society on their volunteer programme of activities
- Bi-annual best practice knowledge sharing session with other Society partners
Membership of this prestigious society also has many benefits for HMD Kontro including being part of the largest network of women engineers in the UK and as such we are fully committed to supporting WES in its campaign for gender diversity in engineering. Communications from WES include a quarterly journal and monthly e-newsletter.
HMD Kontro is looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship with WES and of course to recruiting more women to our company including in the roles of apprentices and engineers.
For a current list of vacancies at HMD Kontro, please click here or get in touch with our HR department on + 44 (0) 323 452148.